Old Update Log for the Medieval and Renaissance Games Page
- 5/8/05:Yes, yes -- I owe the site a major overhaul. But
as a start, I've updated my
bibliography with a number of recent acquisitions.
- 3/27/04: Updated
my description of Astronomical Tables to reflect new information
about the dice.
- 10/26/03: Added an appendix to my Primero
reconstruction, discussing the differences between it and David
Whittaker's. Updated my cheat sheet with modifications
based on his ideas, but haven't updated the main reconstruction
itself yet. Also, added links to all the other primary
sources. Added an alternate transcription of the Trump
section from Familiar Dialogues.
- 8/24/03: A long-overdue update of lots of things. Added
the Berni article on Primiera. Added the Trictrac Yahoo
group. Add a pointer to Imran's copy of the Nare article on
Primero. Tweaked the URL for EBro Software. Added Phillipe
Lalanne's Trictrac page. Added a couple of images of apparent
games played on ice. Added the Bocce links page. Added the
Collegium Cosmicum ad Buxeas bocce page, and several
bowling-history pages. Added James Masters' Croquet-history
page. Added Imran's transcription of The Royal Game of the
Ombre, and that of Cotgrave's description of Gleek. Added a
number of Game of the Goose links. Added a link to Faire Angel's
games page. Added a pointer to the Marostica live chess
match. Webbed Antron de Stoc's transcription of Belloc, and his
reconstruction of Trump. Webbed James Wickson's new Tarot
reconstruction. Added the TarotL page on Tarot history. Added
David Whittaker's Primero reconstruction (which is probably
better than mine in several respects). Added a link to the good
online image of Breughel's Children's Games. Added links to two
vendors selling seven-sided dice; I don't like either set
completely, but we're getting there. Tweaked the link to Robert
fitz John's Alquerques page. Most important of all, added a link
to Sonja Musser Golladay's translation in progress of the
- 11/11/02: Added a couple more Primiera-related transcriptions from
- 11/10/02: Added Rowan O'Sidhe's description of Fidchell;
Gwynydd of Culloden's descriptions of Morris and Cent; a Latin
transcription of Cardano; three transcriptions and the
translated game list from Gargantua; several pointers into
Imran's pages under Research Materials; the Accademia della
Tarocchino Bolognese; the Dictionnaire de l'Académie
Française; Hans-Joachim Alscher's tarock page (under both
tarot and transcriptions); Thierry Depaulis' transcriptions of a
couple of sources relating to Prime; my transcription of
- 10/13/02: Added my new reconstructions of Italian and English
- 9/22/02: Added pointers to: the British Kubb Federation;
Greenwood Press; La Boule Bleue; the Far Isles Guild of Gamers;
Hildegarde Stickerin's Tarot page; the CD-ROM reprint of Chatto;
Imran Ghory's History of Backgammon and Albanian chessman image;
Karen Larsdatter's games in art page; several pointers into the
ORB; the Hartshorn-dale games page; a couple of games from the
Shire of Isenfir.
- 6/19/02: Added pointer to the Kunshistorisches Museum game board
images, to the Transcriptions and Images page. Beefed up the links to the
Games Guild of Ealdormere, which has been busy. Added Pastyme Games.
- 6/11/02: Added a new Ace's Boke article, on false dice.
- 5/1/02: Added Justin's reconstruction of Astronomical Tables (aka
"Seven-sided Backgammon"), under Tables Games.
- 4/18/02: Updated the links to games on James Masters' Traditional
- 4/7/02: Added Roselyne's translation of the Zodiac games from the
- 3/28-29/02: Updated the links to the Venshavn Tafl
pages. Added the Y Cam description of Gwyddbwyll. Added the
Chesmayne Chess page, and the MatchMate origins of chess
page. Updated pointer to the Alfonso X site, and added pointer
to the Alfonso transcriptions; moved both of those to the
transcriptions & images page. Added the RenGeekCentral
Rounders pages. Added link to the Sloan article on the origin of
Chess. Added the German Merels site, and a couple of tafl
pages. Added the IPCS History of Cards. Added the Smithsonian
Tafl page. Updated the Tattershall links. Added the Games Guild
of Ealdormere. Added the CueCare history of Billiards. Added
Leif Bennett's Java games. Added the EarthGaming Tafl
pages. Added the KnowOdds Cotton transcription. Added a pointer
to Zillions of Games. Added the Slade Tafl page. Added the
Taeflor discussion group. Added the Tafl Gild. Added the
Blackmask transcription of Bird's Chess History. Added the White
Chess Collection. Removed dead pointers to Wulfric's pages.
- 2/23/02: Fixed the link to Gunnora's Tafl page. Added link to EBro
Software Tafl implementation. Fixed the links to David Levy's Trictrac
page. Added pointer to 1457 act outlawing Golf. Moved a bunch of old
updates to the old update page.
- 12/15/01: Added a pointer to the SCETI scans of Varchi's
book on Rhythmomachy, to the Transcriptions page. Added the Dice
Site to Related Sites.
- 11/25/01: Updated the pointer to the Ravensgard pages.
- 11/11/01: Changed the pointer to information about the
period games mailing list. Added a pointer from the transcriptions
page to Ruben Krasnopolsky's collation from EMEDD.
- 10/28/01: Added link to the Games Guild of Ealdormere.
Added a link to Clan na Bheithir's hurling page. Added a
section index to the by now rather large rules page.
- 9/23/01: Added links to Bryanna's Treasure Box and
The Viking Trader. Added Greg Lindahl's transcriptions of
game entries from Minsheu. Added a pointer to the analysis
of probabilities in knucklebones. Added direct pointers to
Ruben Krasnopolsky's recent reconstructions of Spanish
card games, and his transcription of the Diccionario de Autoridades.
- 7/29/01: Added Ulrich Schadler's critique of the Roman
Games site, since a lot of folks seem to be getting to the Roman
site from here.
- 7/8/01: Added a pointer to Seaan's description of basic
Tarot on the Rules page. Split the older stuff from this What's
New list out to a separate page.
On a related note, Ruben Krasnopolsky has added some new
sections to his
Historical References page.
- 7/2/01: Updated my bibliography with the takings from
my recent trip to Paris.
- 4/30/01: Added a bunch of Hurling links. Added a few
Dice links. Added a Kubb link. Added Hickok Sports, and a pile
of links to their game-specific history pages. Added a Byzantine
Chess link. Added the Merels page from the Museum of Games.
- 4/6/01: Added a link from the Transcriptions page to
Ruben Krasnopolsky's transcriptions from Cotgrave. Put in a
link to Guillaume de la Sudeterre's Brandubh page. Added links
to the Fanarona software implementations.
- 10/9/00: Added a link from the chess section to the
Religion and Chess article.
- 10/8/00: Fixed links to Modar's pages, which had moved
slightly. Fixed links to Ravensgard. Fixed link to Rudivale's
- 5/31/00: It was pointed out to me that my Brueghel
pointer was dead, but that the Museum of Games has a better one
now anyway; switched to use that. Also, put pointers to
several subpages there from the Rules page.
- 5/24/00: Due to me abruptly finding myself out of work,
moved this site to its new location. Hopefully it won't have to
move again until I pony up the money for a domain for the site.
- 2/2/00: Noted the current controversy over Tablero: it
looks like the main secondary source used for the game is full
of strangely ahistorical information.
- 1/31/00: Added all of the individual Ace's Boke articles
to the general Rules page. Added a Tafl article to the Ace's Boke.
- 1/26/00: Massive update, as I officially move to the new
URL. Added pointers to all of the game descriptions on the
Alfonso site. (That site is starting to get very useful!)
Killed lots of dead links, and moved pointers to moved sites
when I could find them. Reformatted the Rules page to be easier
to read and understand. (The original style made sense when
there was only one description of any given game, but it had
gotten to be a mess.) Put direct links to the relevant chess
variations on Hans' Chess Variant Pages. Put direct links to
relevant pages on James Masters' Traditional Games site. Added
a link to Board Games Studies. Added a whole lotta chess sites.
Added lots of related sites and such.
- 12/30/98: Catching up on page-hunting. Added pointer to
article about Spain's part in origins of chess. Added pointer to
SCA games page. Added a pointer to Dragonsspine's SCA games
pages. Added a couple of descriptions of tafl, and some Poch illos.
Added pointer to Y Cam's article on Towlbwrdd. Moved Dagonell's
page with all the other collections of rules. Put in direct
links to rules articles by Dagonell and Modar, on the theory
that a single comprehensive index is probably useful. (More is
needed on this.) Added description of Rounders. Fixed pointer
to Tara Hill, and added their rules page. Added a bunch of assorted
alternate descriptions of games. Added description of Celtic
knucklebones. Added pointer to Breughel picture.
- 12/17/98: Many additions to my personal bibliography.
- 9/22/98: Added pointer to Robert fitz John's Alquerques page.
- 9/2/98: Added several hnefatafl links. Added pointer to
Ravensgard's Norse Games page.
- 8/31/98: Added link to the Alfonso illustrations project.
Added a pointer to ShadowWolf's nice, concise History of Tarot.
Added a pointer to James Masters' History of Traditional Games.
Added a pointer to Kadon Enterprises.
- 5/5/98: Moved all refs to the Landsknecht pages over to their
new site. Added pointer to David Levy's Trictrac page under Rules.
Added pointer to The Merry Gamester page, under Bibliographies.
- 2/23/98: Lots of additions. Added Wulfgar's games page to the
Collections list on the Rules page. Added pointer to a Geocities page
under Related Sites. Added pointer to Ambush under Game Software. And
added a beefy new collection of Rythmomachy links on the Rules page.
- 2/17/98: Added pointer to
Compendium of Common Knowledge.
- 2/12/98: Added pointer to a new Java implementation
- 2/4/98: Several updates to the listing of Vendors of
Period Games, below.